Roulette tables can come in different shapes and sizes, but the fundamental casino equipment is always present: the famous roulette wheel, the little ball, and the numbers laid out on the table. Regardless of whether it’s an online roulette game, or an established table at a famous casino, the table layouts never differ from that formula. However, there are variations. Let’s look at what those are.
What are roulette table layouts?
The table layout refers to how a roulette table is sectioned out and designed. The reality is that roulette is a fairly simple game, but the table is where you place your bets, so having an idea of what the standard layout is is fundamental. Luckily, it is super easy to learn!
Different Layouts of the Roulette Tables
Not everyone has the same taste, so why should we have only one type of roulette table, right? The beloved roulette table can be designed in many different ways nowadays, but the classic roulette colours remain the order of the day. The three main variants of roulette contain slightly different roulette wheels as well as layouts.
European Roulette Table Layout
The European roulette table is a popular choice around the world, offering some of the best odds of winning. The European table layout features numbers that range from one to 36, in random order and alternating in red and black, along with a zero, sitting in the green pocket. Naturally, European roulette wheels reflect the single zero in their layout.
American Roulette Table Layout
The American layout is slightly different from the others in that this roulette table offers a few more options and a slightly different design, namely the double zero, which is what gives the house a greater edge over a game. This can be reflected in American roulette wheels, which feature that extra zero in a green pocket, as the layout of the table takes the double zero into account. Furthermore, there may be a small difference in the design of the table betting area – although there is always a section for outside bets.
French Roulette Table Layout
France is where the game of roulette all started, so it is no surprise that roulette wheels call France home (roulette is French for “little wheel”). Hallmarks of the European roulette game are present, with numbers that range from one to 36 alternating in black and red, and the single zero (reflected in the roulette wheel as well). However, the French roulette table layout is always in French, irrespective of the location the game is played in.
Special French Roulette Table Rules
French tables feature unique roulette table rules, known as the La Partage and En Prison. These rules count for even-money bets only.
La Partage will return half your bet if the ball lands in the zero pocket, and your bet loses. En Prison translates to “in prison”, and the idea is that it will place losing bets ‘in prison’ if the ball should fall on zero. If the player wins the next spin, the dealer will return the wager amount to the player without attaining a win.
Differences between online roulette tables and land-based roulette tables
Whether you’re playing online or at a land-based casino determines what your roulette experience will be like. Let’s look at how they compare.
Online Roulette Tables
Naturally, the land-based roulette table walked so the online roulette table could run — and it shows! Online roulette comes in a range of shapes, forms, themes, twists, prices, finishes and sometimes colours! Here are some plusses and minuses that come with playing at online roulette tables:
Advantages of online roulette tables
- Online casino roulette allows you to play roulette for free with first-person tables.
- There is a variety of takes on the classic game that don’t exist offline.
- Players from all over the world can participate in the same game at an online casino.
- Online casinos offer promotions, and organise events combined with great rewards to support the player.
- An online casino offers a long list of roulette products. You can choose to play with a live dealer in real-time or alone against a computerised algorithm.
Disadvantages of online roulette tables
- Some players find the game loses its lustre in a virtual casino.
- Terms and conditions may affect your options for a particular game or table.
- Some online casinos may intend to scam players by posing as certified companies.
- Occasionally, a sterile attitude from dealers may be a problem for players.
- Online roulette (like all online gambling) requires a solid internet connection, which may create issues for players in areas without internet support.
Land-based roulette tables
On the other side of the coin, no casino is complete without the physical table and wheels that players return to time and again. The changes between online and land-based gaming mainly come from how you experience roulette. Here are the pros and cons of land-based roulette:
Advantages of land-based roulette tables:
- Land-based roulette tables are an indispensable staple for many land-based casinos.
- The physical interaction between players and roulette wheels is always unique.
- Playing side by side with other players may bring a social element to roulette.
- A land-based casino is much less likely to rip off players as they are harder to build into a reputable business.
- The tangible aspect of a roulette table means its reputation has more weight.
Disadvantages of land-based roulette tables:
- The location of a land-based casino may not always be convenient for players.
- The entire experience of land-based casinos may be overwhelming to first-timers.
- Land-based casinos do not permit trying out roulette wheels for free.
- Many casinos generally only offer a single table, so you’ll have to take it or leave it.
- Playing roulette online is generally cheaper than playing at a land-based venue.
What are the rules on a roulette table?
While the rules may differ from one table to the next, here are the general rules of playing roulette:
- Begin by clicking on one of the virtual betting chips if the game is online, or placing chips on the betting table if it’s a land-based game.
- If playing online, all bets must be placed before the betting time expires. You can place either inside or outside bets, among other wagers and side bets.
- Once the betting time has expired, the croupier spins the wheel and throws the ball in the opposite direction.
- Once the ball lands in a pocket, the croupier announces the winning number and pays the players their winnings.
- French roulette games may come with two additional rules – players may receive half their wager back if the ball lands on zero (known as La Partage), or the dealer may hold on to players’ wagers until the next spin (known as En Prison).
How to place roulette table bets?
To place a bet in roulette, you must first select the value of your bet. You can set your chips inside the betting area, lowering your odds, as inside bets tend to be more elusive, but the payout is higher. Conversely, if you place an outside bet, which is a bet outside of the betting area, your payout will be lower, but your odds of winning may be higher.
Inside bets include: a straight bet, corner bet, street bet, etc. Outside bets include red/black, odd/even, a dozen bet, etc. Understanding how outside and inside bets work is a valuable asset to players. Once all bets have been placed, the dealer will spin the wheel and pay out bets once the ball settles into a numbered pocket.
You may want to employ a few betting strategies to potentially boost your odds of winning.
What is the layout of a roulette table?
The layout of a European roulette table reflects the roulette wheel with 37 pockets that range from one to 36, with a green zero pocket. The same is true for American roulette, except for an extra green pocket for the double zero. French roulette has the same layout as European roulette, except that the language used on the table is always in French.
How many spaces are on a roulette table?
In the European and French versions of roulette tables, there are 37 spaces (as in a typical roulette table), laid out as 18 red spaces, 18 black spaces and one green space where the zero is. Like American roulette wheels, American roulette tables feature two green spaces since they are a double-zero variant.
How many players are on a roulette table?
The number of players depends on where the game is played. A live roulette table can have up to seven players, or more, in one game. When it comes to online roulette, things get a bit trickier. Some tables set limits, while others don’t. In theory, a casino does not need to limit seats for online games.
What are the bets on a roulette table?
The bets in roulette games vary from iteration to iteration, but they primarily consist of inside and outside bets. Inside bets are made inside the betting table, and outside bets are made outside.
Do casino equipment like roulette wheels and tables differ per variant?
While most tables feature a similar design, there may be some aesthetic differences from table to table, though the same roulette equipment is used.
Is an American roulette wheel different to an American roulette table?
Nope. The numbers and colours you’ll find on a roulette wheel will be reflected on the roulette table as well.