For some, playing blackjack with side bets boosts the entertainment factor enough to squeeze more play time from the regular game. Others might view blackjack side bets solely as an opportunity to increase their winning outcomes.
What are blackjack side bets worth to you? In this post, we’ll help you figure that out by explaining what side wagers entail, their odds of winning and bet payouts.
That way, you’ll get to answer the question: are blackjack side bets worth it?
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BLACKJACK SIDE BETS
If you need to have blackjack side bets explained, you couldn’t have stumbled upon a better blog post.
The two most important things to consider as far as blackjack side bets are concerned are:
- Every side bet has its own rules, probability of paying and payouts. Side wagers are usually high-risk, high-reward bets.
- With higher risk comes a higher house edge. Using side bets will entail a higher house edge than regular bets since the odds of winning are lower.
WHAT ARE SIDE BETS IN BLACKJACK?
Side bets are featured by the best online casinos around, since they can be seen as additional features to the base game.
In essence, side bets are simply additional wagers that can be placed on top of the regular bet in a game.
When it comes to blackjack tables, side bets include the 21+3 bet, Perfect Pairs bet and Insurance bet; all of which will be explained later on.
WHY DO CASINOS OFFER SIDE BETS?
In general, most casinos offer side bets to provide players with more excitement and variety in their gaming experience. Side bets can add an element of unpredictability and risk to the game, making it more thrilling than the standard game.
Additionally, side bets often have different rules and payouts than the main bet, so players can enjoy a different type of game within the same table.
Another reason casinos offer side bets is to increase their revenue. Since side bets typically have a higher house edge, they generate more profit for the casino than the main bet.
Additionally, some players may be more willing to take risks and place side bets, resulting in higher bets and a higher overall house edge for the casino.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO PLAY SIDE BETS?
The truth is that there is no perfect time to place blackjack side bets because all the side bets are independent of the main game, and their outcomes are determined by chance.
The decision to place a blackjack side bet should be based on personal preference and risk tolerance rather than on any specific time or strategy.
It’s important for players to remember that each side bet involves a higher house edge than the main bet, which means that the odds of winning are lower.
As a result, players should only place side bets if they can afford to lose the additional wager and if they are comfortable with the increased risk.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF SIDE BETS ON THE BLACKJACK TABLE
Here are the advantages that come with blackjack side bets:
- Higher payouts: Side wagers typically offer higher payouts than the regular bet in blackjack, making them appealing to some players.
- Added excitement: Side wagers can add an extra element of excitement to the game, especially for players who enjoy taking risks.
- Variety: Side bets offer a different type of game within the main blackjack game, which can provide players with more variety and options.
Here are the disadvantages that come with blackjack side wagers:
- Higher house edge: Side wagers typically have a higher house edge than the regular bet, meaning that the odds of winning are lower. This can result in players losing more money over time.
- Risk: Placing side bets involves taking on additional risk, which can lead to greater losses.
- Distraction: Focusing on side bets can distract players from the main game and cause them to make poor decisions.
HOW TO PLAY A SIDE BET IN BLACKJACK
Side bets can offer some of the biggest payouts at the table, so it’s worth knowing what wagers the blackjack tables at your casino offer.
Before investing any money into a side bet, make sure that you know when and how much the additional bets pay by checking the blackjack side bets payout of the game you intend on playing.
To play a side bet in blackjack, follow these general steps:
- Find a blackjack table that offers the side bet(s) you want to play. Some blackjack games may offer multiple side bets, while others may only offer one. Most blackjack tables offer at least two additional wagers.
- Place your regular bet on the blackjack hand according to the table minimum and maximum limits.
- Decide whether or not to place a side bet. If you want to place a side bet, place the additional wager in the designated area on the table (or screen if you’re playing the online version).
- Wait until the cards dealt on the table are complete. The side bet will be settled separately from the regular bet, based on the outcome of the side bet.
- If you win the side bet, the payout will be determined based on the specific rules for that bet.
- If you lose the side bet, the additional wager will be collected by the dealer.
MOST POPULAR BLACKJACK SIDE BET
There is no one bet that is available in all the blackjack games on the market, but there are definitely some common bet options that one can find in most games: insurance bets, Perfect Pairs and the 21+3 bet.
Insurance side bets are one of the most common blackjack side bets, but they are only offered in a specific situation: whenever the dealer’s face-up card is an ace. In fact, the Insurance side bet offers players a “safety net” in case the dealer’s hole card is a 10 (or picture cards, who have the same value), thus making a blackjack.
If the dealer has a blackjack, the Insurance wager pays out at 2:1, which means the player will break even on their original bet. If the dealer does not have a blackjack, the bet is lost and the game continues as usual.
The idea behind the taking insurance is that it’s meant to protect the player against the possibility of the dealer having a blackjack. However, many blackjack experts advise against taking insurance, as it has a relatively high house edge and can cost the player more money in the long run.
The Perfect Pairs side bet is another popular wager in blackjack. Blackjack Perfect Pairs revolve around the player’s first two cards; specifically, if the first two cards make a pair (and what type of pair).
There are three possible types of pairs in Perfect Pairs:
- Perfect Pair: A Perfect Pair is two cards of the same rank and the same suit. For example, two queens of spades. This wager pays 30:1.
- Coloured Pair: A Coloured Pair is two cards of the same rank and the same colour. For example, a king of diamond and a king of hearts. This wager pays 15:1.
- Mixed Pair: A Mixed Pair is two cards of the same rank but not the same suit. For example, an ace of hearts and an ace of clubs. This wager pays 7:1.
The last popular blackjack side wager is the 21+3 wager, which combines the player’s two cards with the dealer’s face-up card to make a three-card poker hand.
The idea is to make a poker hand using the three cards that pays out according to a paytable. The paytable can vary from casino to casino, but typically it looks something like this:
- Suited three of a kind: 100:1
- Straight flush: 40:1
- Three of a kind: 30:1
- Straight: 10:1
- Flush: 5:1
OTHER SIDE BETS IN BLACKJACK
One can find more side wagers in blackjack than the ones we’ve mentioned so far. If you’re exceptionally tired of standard bets, scour your casino floor or website to see if you can find any of the side wagers below:
- Super Sevens: The Super Sevens side wager that pays out when the player’s first two cards, as well as the dealer’s face-up card, contain sevens. The payout for this wager can vary depending on the casino, but a typical payout structure is: 3:1 for one seven, 50:1 for two sevens, 500:1 for three sevens, and 5,000:1 for suited sevens.
- Royal Match: The Royal Match side bet is a betting option in blackjack that pays out if the player’s first two cards are of the same suit. Should this be the case, a payout of 2:1 will be awarded. Alternatively, the Royal Match wager can pay if the player’s first two cards are a king and queen of the same suit. This eventuality would pay 25:1.
- Easy Match: The Easy Match side bet is a betting option in some blackjack games that pays out when the player’s first two cards form a pair, or a pair with the dealer’s face-up card. Payouts for this bet are usually: 5:1 for any pair, 10:1 for a suited pair and 20:1 for a suited pair with the dealer’s face-up card.
- Lucky Ladies: The Lucky Ladies side bet is a betting option in some blackjack games that pays out when the player’s first two cards form a total point value of 20, or if they have a pair of queens, and the dealer has a blackjack. The payout for the Lucky Ladies side wager can vary depending on the casino, but a typical payout structure is as follows:
- Total point value of 20: 4:1
- Pair of queens: 25:1
- Suited pair of queens: 200:1
- Pair of queens with the dealer having blackjack: 1,000:1
CAN I PLAY MORE THAN ONE SIDE BET DURING THE GAME?
It is definitely possible to place more than one side wager in blackjack, but there are a few things worth noting before doing so.
Firstly, each side wager is independent and does not affect the main blackjack game, especially where the odds of winning are concerned.
Secondly, placing multiple side wagers can increase your overall risk and reduce your bankroll faster, so it’s important to consider your bet strategy and bankroll management before placing multiple side wagers.
CAN I PLAY A BLACKJACK SIDE BET IN AN ONLINE CASINO?
You can definitely play blackjack online, as long as your casino of choice accepts players from your country. Once your registration is complete, you can wager on your preferred choice of side bets.
Blackjack tables offer different side wagers — some don’t offer any side wagers at all. It’s important to verify which side wagers are available before investing money into a specific game.
Now that you have blackjack side bets explained, you might be wondering what our final thoughts would be.
In a single-deck game of standard blackjack, it is possible to use a basic strategy to enjoy a very low house edge. This is done by using even-money wagers and taking calculated risks.
In turn, this will help you see a better return on your wagers, thus, extending your play time significantly.
However, side wagers do not pay often. Blackjack side bets odds may be impressive, but their low chances of paying will mean that the house edge will spike considerably.
✅ Are blackjack side bets safe?
When playing at a legitimate and licensed casino, you can rest assured that all of its games and inherent side wagers are safe.
✅ Can you win real money with blackjack side bets?
Yes, but be aware that although side bets often have the best odds, they are the least likely to pay.
✅ Are side bet games available at LV BET Online Casino?
Yes. LV BET features several different blackjack variants that offer some kind of side wager.
✅ Are blackjack side bets only for beginners?
Although side bets add a new dimension to betting, they are rarely worth the added risk. Consequently, most experienced bettors stay away from side wagers.