Playing cash games is never a decision that should be taken lightly, seeing as money is at stake. Nevertheless, winning money and playing a fun game isn’t mutually exclusive.
It is known that players play whichever casino game grants them a good opportunity to win money while also packing a good punch as far as entertainment goes.
Bonus points are awarded to online casino games that allow the player to hone significant skill and basic strategy.
In the context of playing card games, poker vs blackjack is perhaps the most popular rivalry.
Blackjack players and poker players are both certain that their own card game has it all: a good opportunity to win money, a unique source of entertainment and ample room to dive into complex strategies in an effort to win consistently.
In this post, LV BET will delve into the blackjack vs poker conundrum by explaining how each card game is played, the most popular cash games associated with said game and by exploring the differences between the two.
WHAT IS POKER?
Whether it’s played online or on a real table, every poker player must be familiar with the game’s rules, hand rankings and have a solid understanding of probability.
The objective of the game is to build the strongest poker hand or bluff your way to victory. There are several actions that a poker player can take, such as calling, raising or folding, and different poker variants will have rule variations as well.
For example, some poker tables require the players to build the strongest five-card hand; in others, a hand can be built with as few as three cards or a combination of the player’s and community cards.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN POKER AND ONLINE POKER
Poker was one of the first casino games to be adapted to online play, and with this digital move came an extraordinary variety of new and entertaining features.
The online poker table succeeded in expediting gameplay through the use of an automated dealer, automatic card shuffling and lightning-quick reaction times.
This way, poker did not only become an increasingly popular card game globally, but it also became a much more accessible game.
In fact, seeing as playing poker can be done in most casinos, online poker has become a much more convenient way of playing poker without compelling the player to make it to their nearest land-based casino.
THE MOST POPULAR POKER GAMES
Should you be on the lookout for some of the hottest poker tables around, have a look at the list below, where we’ll mention and explain each and every popular casino game of poker.
- Texas Hold’em Bonus Poker: Texas Hold ‘em Bonus Poker is yet another addition to the extensive table games portfolio of Evolution Gaming, which is streamed live from their studios in Riga, Latvia. The game is a variant of Texas hold ‘em, played against the house, and there is no bet after the river. Players can also place optional Bonus and First 5 Jackpot bets. The theoretical RTP (Return To Player), when played optimally, is 97.66% on the Ante bet and 81.84% on the First 5 Jackpot bet.
- Three Card Poker: Three Card Poker is an excellent addition to the various online live dealer casinos. The player is supposed to beat the dealer with a hand that consists of three cards, and the game is played with only one deck of cards. Players can make the optional Pair Plus and 6 Card Bonus bets as well. The RTP in Three Card Poker is 96.63% on the Ante bet.
- Side Bet City: Side Bet City is an ’80s-themed poker game set in one of Evolution’s neon-lit studios. The game is designed to be played not against the dealer but the house. Players simply bet on whether they will win on a three, five or seven-card hand, or on the ‘All Lose’ option. The player can bet on any combination of these bets, and no decisions are made by the player after placing their chosen bets.
- Two-Hand Casino Hold’em: This variation of Casino Hold ‘em takes the entire experience to a new level — allowing the player to play with two hands. Poker players must build the best possible five-card hand made out of the player’s first two cards and five community cards. The RTP is 97.84% on the Ante bet and 93.74% on the optional Bonus bet.
- Video poker: Although video poker is a ‘genre’ of poker, it is well worth a mention. Video poker was first introduced in the 1970s and, because these games resembled the consoles of slot machines, they were initially called poker slots. Just like slot machines, card combinations are generated with random number generation. Players play alone, as there is no interaction with other poker players or the casino dealer. Popular variants include Jacks or Better or Deuces Wild. Nevertheless, almost all video poker games are based on five-card draw poker mechanics. Many options and features make video poker an excellent alternative to traditional slot machines, since these games allow the poker player to effectively reduce the casino’s edge. Like with classic poker, you have a better chance of winning with the right strategy.
WHAT IS BLACKJACK?
Blackjack’s roots go back to the 1700s in France, where it was called vingt-et-un (meaning 21). Today, the game is found in nearly all casinos, where it can either be played live or in first person.
In live blackjack, players sit around the semicircular blackjack table and play alongside other players against the house.
Blackjack is a simple game that is played between the player and the dealer and not the house. The game is usually played with a multi-deck shoe, typically with eight decks, but some tables will have shoes with fewer 52-card decks.
Two face-up cards are dealt to the player and two to the house — one upcard and one hole card. The cards have a point value, and the combined sum of the cards dealt is the hand total.
Ultimately, playing blackjack is about having a hand value equal to or closer to 21 than the dealer’s total without busting (exceeding 21).
Various techniques and strategy methods are available to blackjack players to help them achieve better results, such as perfect strategy charts.
Players can consult these strategy guides to help them make mathematically optimal decisions and improve their chances of winning.
To an extent, blackjack punishes players who play without any kind of basic blackjack strategy, since luck will only get them so far. In fact, blackjack strategy can lower the house edge to just one-half percent.
Some land-based and online casinos also offer various blackjack tournaments, in which players can compete for a chance to win even greater rewards, such as extra money or free spins.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BLACKJACK AND ONLINE BLACKJACK
Today, players can also play blackjack tables online. However, the game rules are a little different from those at the original land-based tables, as online blackjack offers various additional features.
Nevertheless, exceptional blackjack players can excel in both blackjack online and that found in land-based casinos.
In regular online blackjack tables, blackjack players will play many more hands per hour, seeing as the dealer is automated. Furthermore, they won’t have to wait for other players to make their decision.
Live blackjack is another form of online blackjack, but it is slightly different in nature. With the advent of live casino, the gambling industry has considerably grown in immersion; the most notable difference being the presence of live dealers.
This makes live blackjack a much more intimate game than a regular online blackjack game.
Another difference between regular land-based blackjack and its online counterpart is that it is impossible to use card-counting techniques in the latter variant.
Counting cards is impossible since the deck is reshuffled automatically at the start of each round. To that end, card counters aren’t usually fans of online blackjack.
THE MOST POPULAR BLACKJACK GAMES
To get a better understanding of what every blackjack player experiences, it would be a good idea to check out some of the following blackjack games.
Do note that you can find each blackjack table below at LV BET, so feel free to start playing blackjack today!
- Power-Blackjack: Power Blackjack adds an extra dimension to classic blackjack. The same rules apply, but with a hot twist — the player can triple down or even quadruple down on any two initial cards and after a split. The 9s and 10s have also been removed from the deck, allowing players to try new strategies while playing.
- Free Bet Blackjack: This other live blackjack variant is very popular and includes interesting features like Free Double Down and Split bets. Free Bet Blackjack offers players a free Double Down bet on two cards with hard totals of 9, 10 or 11, as well as Free Split bets on all pairs except 10s. The free bets are automatically offered to the player if their cards qualify. Side bets such as Any Pair, 21+3, Hot 3 and Bust It are also available, giving players a chance to win additional payouts. Players can join the game from all types of devices, including mobile tablets, phones and desktop computers.
- Speed-VIP-Blackjack: As you might have guessed, Speed VIP Blackjack is one of the fastest online live blackjack games available. Compared to the standard live blackjack games, this table reduces gives players greater control and reduces the waiting time; players make their decisions when they are ready, and the fastest player will be dealt their cards first.
- Blackjack Fortune VIP: Blackjack Fortune VIP is played at elegant grey luxury tables in one of Evolution’s gaming studios. Apart from the elite environment, this table offers interesting side bets and is one of the high-stakes tables, perfectly suiting the playing style of VIPs.
PLAYING POKER VS PLAYING BLACKJACK
Blackjack, poker…which is the better game to play? While both are exceptional games that shaped the gaming world as we know it, we are talking about two very different games.
Seeing as blackjack vs poker is a debate that will push on ad infinitum, here’s a breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of the two games.
- Playing blackjack is relatively fast and involves several hands per hour.
- The blackjack player usually has more favourable rules than in other games.
- Seeing as you’re not playing against other players, skill gaps are inexistent.
- With faster hands comes a higher loss rate per hour.
- It is impossible for card counters to practise card-counting methods in online blackjack.
- The dealer has strict rules on when to hit or stand, making it hard impossible for them to make a mistake.
- Very susceptible to losing streaks.
- It is a very social game, seeing as you’ll be playing against other players.
- Strategy can be learned, and it can cover several different situations.
- It is a complex game with several contributing factors influencing the fate of your hand, such as player position, holding, chip stack, player behaviour and so on.
- It is much more complicated than blackjack.
- Your odds of winning change depending on your position at the table.
- Experienced players at the table can severely minimise your chances of winning.
BLACKJACK VS TEXAS HOLD’EM, WHICH IS EASIER?
Although blackjack and poker are games that use cards, blackjack is an easier game to play compared to poker. This is because of two main factors:
- Blackjack is much more straightforward. The aim is to reach a hand value of 21, or as close to that as possible.
- Blackjack isn’t played against other gamblers, so the risk of being outplayed by a professional poker player is simply not there.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO WIN IN BLACKJACK?
To win in blackjack, one has to reach a hand of 21, or as close to that as possible, without going bust; that is, over 21.
Should the player decide to stick to a hand total close to 21 (such as 19 or 20), they will then hope that the dealer either busts or lands a hand value lower than their own.
HOW TO PLAY TEXAS HOLD ‘EM?
The most popular version of poker by far, Texas hold’em is a community card poker game in which players are dealt two cards while five community cards are dealt for everyone to share.
The five community cards aren’t dealt at the same time. Once the first betting round is complete, three cards will be dealt — called the ‘flop’.
A betting round will ensue, after which another community card will be dealt — known as the ‘turn’.
The fifth and final community card (called the ‘river card’) will be dealt after yet another betting round.
The final betting round (sometimes called the ‘river’ betting round) is called the ‘showdown’, and it is when the last active players compare their hands. The best five-card hand will win the entire pot.
BETWEEN POKER AND BLACKJACK, WHICH HAS BETTER ODDS?
When comparing blackjack vs poker, some players will argue that these are two games with too mandy differences to draw similarities.
However, both blackjack and poker players will know that the best way to approach these tables is with strategy and knowledge.
Understanding the odds and your chances of winning will equip you with the knowledge you need to make mathematically optimal decisions during gameplay, helping you gain an edge over your opponents—be it the casino or other players.
Poker and blackjack players know that strategic play is key and that flipping the odds in one’s favour is not impossible.
For example, understanding pot odds in poker will help you sit out losing hands while waiting for a turn to try your luck with a better hand (that offers better odds).
Playing poker is significantly more difficult than playing blackjack, but players can use similar approaches to reduce the odds of losing and minimising the incurred losses.
A good rule of thumb is to come equipped with a solid betting strategy; this way, you will have tighter control over the amount of money you wager and may, perhaps, gain an edge over the opponents simply by betting wisely.
Whether you play online or in land-based blackjack and poker cash games, remember that luck reigns supreme over skill in both the two games.
Even if you’re a talented and experienced player, there is nothing that could ever guarantee a win.
CONCLUSION – PLAY WHAT YOU ENJOY WITHIN YOUR LIMITS
As you have noticed while reading this article, you will find that both poker and blackjack appeal to different types of players, as they have entirely different features, gameplay and bonus bets.
Are you still confused about whether to play some blackjack or some poker?
When deciding which game to play, you need to ask yourself which game better suits your playstyle and not which game has better odds of winning — at the end of the day, it’s all about chance.
✅ ARE POKER AND BLACKJACK TOURNAMENTS AVAILABLE AT LV BET CASINO?
Yes. Visit the LV BET ‘Tournaments’ page to view the latest blackjack and poker tournaments held at our Casino.
✅ POKER VS. BLACKJACK, WHICH IS EASIER FOR A BEGINNING PLAYER?
Before heading to any poker rooms, make sure to practise playing card games that are simpler, such as blackjack or baccarat.
✅ WHICH GAME REQUIRES MORE SKILL FROM THE PLAYER?
Poker is a much more skill-dependent game than blackjack is. Having said that, incorporating strategy to choose the best decision every time is pivotal to blackjack.
✅ CAN YOU WIN MORE MONEY BY PLAYING POKER OR PLAY PLAY BLACKJACK?
It is hard to say which game can net you more money. Much like sports betting and other luck-dependent betting, both games can go either way.
The winning potential will depend on the player’s bankroll. Should you wish to seek large wins while playing against other gamblers, one should play poker.
✅ WHICH CASINO GAME REQUIRES MORE LUCK?
Although both games are somewhat luck-dependent, blackjack is considerably more luck-based. When you play poker, you can choose to sit out unfavourable pot odds and choose to hit the poker table with a good hand once one arrives.