The game of roulette is steeped in history and has been played and enjoyed for centuries. It offers a variety of betting options and payouts and is ideal for all sorts of players.
For those who have never come face-to-face with a roulette wheel before, roulette is a gambling game of chance that requires players to predict which numbered pocket the ball will land in.
Despite being a game of chance, however, there are a couple of roulette strategies that may aid players in their quest to achieve wins. Keep in mind that no technique can guarantee success; they merely have the potential to help boost your chances of winning — there is no guarantee that you can win at roulette.
In this article, we will explore different roulette betting strategies to learn if any could be considered the most successful roulette strategy. We’ll break down how they work, the pros and cons, and more.
ROULETTE STRATEGY TYPES
Let’s start simple. In essence, there are two types of roulette strategies:
PROGRESSIVE BETTING IN ROULETTE
Progressive roulette betting systems are slightly more technical than non-progressive ones. Players are required to increase their bet after a win and decrease it after a loss to potentially minimise losses. This type of method might offer better outcomes and is most commonly used by players.
NON-PROGRESSIVE BETTING IN ROULETTE
Non-progressive betting is relatively straightforward and does not require any professional knowledge. It involves increasing your bet after a loss and decreasing it after a win. The idea behind this betting system is to make up for lost bets with a high-value win.
WHAT ARE THE BEST ROULETTE STRATEGIES?
MARTINGALE ROULETTE STRATEGY
The Martingale system is a negative progression system that involves doubling your stake when you lose. This method capitalises on the eventual likelihood of breaking a losing streak, making a marginal return when you hit the win.
In other words, using the Martingale betting strategy yields small returns to offset large losses. Although this is perhaps the most simple and easy-to-follow strategy, it has its flaws.
HOW IS MARTINGALE ROULETTE BETTING STRATEGY USED?
Negative progression roulette betting strategies are most efficient on outside bets with a 50% chance of winning, such as Odd/Even, and Red/Black. Here’s how to use the Martingale strategy using a starting unit of €1:
- Wager €1 on an outside bet of your choosing.
- If you lose, repeat the bet and double your next even-money bet to €2 — at this point you would have wagered a total of €3.
- If you win you will receive €4, which covers the €3 lost and makes a €1 profit.
- If you lose, double the wager again (to €4) and repeat until the losing streak ends.
- When you break the streak and hit a win, you will make back the entire amount lost with a marginal profit. When this happens, revert back to the low stake and repeat. Do not increase the bet on a win streak.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF THE MARTINGALE ROULETTE BETTING SYSTEM
- The Martingale strategy is easy to use.
- You can set a bankroll limit.
- The Martingale applies to all online roulette games.
- It is an appropriate method for managing losses.
- This betting strategy is meant to recover from losses and make small wins. Large winnings will rarely be seen when using this method.
- You will increase your bet quickly, depleting your bankroll at a faster rate.
- The Martingale is limited by your funds and the roulette table limit on maximum bets.
- It is not viable in the long term — the house always wins.
JAMES BOND ROULETTE STRATEGY
The James Bond betting strategy is arguably the most popular roulette strategy used to play roulette online. Implementing this method implies that you’ll be betting on 25 numbers leaving a remainder of 12 numbers on the roulette wheel.
Unlike roulette strategies, the James Bond strategy is not based on even-money bets, as players place the same bet of 20 units every round. This can either be 20 small units or 20 large ones, depending on how high you want your stakes to be.
HOW THE JAMES BOND ROULETTE SYSTEM WORKS:
Here is how you should place bets when testing out this betting system, taking €1 as the base betting unit :
- A total of 14 units need to be placed on 19-36 — one of the various outside bets that pay even money.
- The next five units are placed on a 6-line inside bet.
- The last unit is placed on the single zero.
If 30 comes up on your first spin, you will win a total of €14. Since the 6-line and the Straight Up zero bets both lose in this case, you are left with €8 in profit. If 17 is the winning number, then you win €25, and the other two bets fall flat. That leaves you with a profit of €10. If luck is on your side and the spin outcome is zero, then you will net €16 in profit after subtracting €19 from the total win of €35.
Another important component of this strategy comes into play on losing bets. In this case, the player is advised to double their stake on the next spin using the same principles of the Martingale system.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF JAMES BOND ROULETTE STRATEGY
- You cover a profitable 6-line bet and a single number while hedging your bets with an outside bet.
- This roulette betting strategy may give you better odds of winning.
- This roulette strategy covers over half of the table bets, so it is a solid strategy and very commonly used amongst roulette players.
- There is a high risk incurred if the ball falls between one and 12 on the roulette wheel.
- This system is only viable on a European roulette wheel with a single zero.
FIBONACCI ROULETTE STRATEGY
The Fibonacci system is based on the famous Fibonacci numbers, a sequence of numbers in which one number is equal to the sum of the previous two — 1-1-2-3-5-8-13-21-34, etc.
It is not always necessary to start with one when implementing the Fibonacci system in roulette betting; you can start with any bet you prefer, as long as it adheres to the logic of the Fibonacci sequence.
This roulette strategy is used for outside bets; however, it is recommended to start with one and work up the chain until you secure a win.
HOW FIBONACCI ROULETTE SYSTEM WORKS
The numbers in the sequence correspond to the value of your bet, not the numbers you are betting on (remember, only even-money bets are viable). The premise is as follows: if you win on your initial bet, restart the sequence. If you win further down the line, move back two numbers in the sequence. If you lose, continue on with the sequence.
Here’s how to use the Fibonacci roulette strategy in five rounds of betting:
- Round One: Place your first bet of €1 on an outside bet of your choice. The bet loses.
- Round Two: Wager €1 again. This also results in a losing bet.
- Round Three: Move up in the sequence and wager €2. The outcome is a loss.
- Round Four: Move up in the sequence and wager €3. The outcome is, again, a loss. You are now €7 in the negative.
- Round Five: Raise the stake to €5. The outcome is a win, which will net a €3 profit. You will now move back two numbers in your sequence and wager €2. Rinse and repeat!
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF FIBONACCI SYSTEM
Although you will lose money at first, this betting system is considered to be a safer option than the Martingale roulette strategy as it reduces the stake after a successful round.
- It is a relatively safe betting system, ideal for a roulette player of any level.
- The house edge does not change.
- It is simple and works with small bets.
- Like many other roulette strategies, it is not viable in the long run.
- The sequence simply tells you how much to bet, the odds and house edge remain the same.
- There is no safety net on a losing streak.
- This is a progressive betting system, and must adhere to roulette table limits, as well as your bankroll.
PAROLI ROULETTE STRATEGY
The Paroli method is a positive progression betting system, also known as the reverse Martingale. With this strategy, your stake is not doubled when placing losing bets; instead, the stake is doubled on a win.
The goal is to increase your stake for three consecutive wins, after which the wager is reset to the original amount. Players can choose to opt for longer progressions, but this is not recommended for inexperienced roulette players. Like the Martingale, this strategy is best suited for outside, even-money bets.
HOW DOES PAROLI STRATEGY WORK?
The Paroli system can be used on inside bets, but it is recommended to stick to outside bets.
Using a low minimum bet size of €1:
- Wager €1 on any Outside bet of your choice. Suppose the outcome is a loss.
- Wager €1 again. The outcome is a win.
- Double the stake to €2. The outcome is a win.
- Double the stake again, wagering a total of €4. If you win, this round ends your progression.
- If you lose, reset your wager to €1 and repeat until three consecutive wins are achieved.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF PAROLI BETTING STRATEGY
When using the Paroli system, the incurred losses are relatively small when compared to other roulette strategies. For this reason, this reverse Martingale system is ideal for players looking to avoid huge losses and generate small, consistent winnings when they play roulette.
With that said, let’s take a look at all the advantages and disadvantages of the Paroli betting system.
- Controlled potential risks by resetting the wager after three wins.
- Consistent small winnings.
- The system does not account for extended losing streaks. In an ideal scenario, the player walks away with seven units in profit (following the three-win progression). If the player is recovering from multiple losses, this may not be enough to cover the bankroll damage, even on large win streaks.
- Like all progression betting systems, it is not viable in the long run.
PARLAY ROULETTE STRATEGY
Like the Paroli system, the Parlay is among the oldest roulette strategies. The difference between the Paroli system and the Parlay method is that you decide upon your winning goal in the Parlay instead of a winning streak as in the Paroli. This makes the Parlay system much more flexible, as you can wager on both inside and outside bets.
It works on positive betting progression, which implies that you can increase your bet amount after every win. On a loss, the player returns to their initial bet size. The goal of the Parlay system is to maximise the winnings and stop gameplay when reaching the desired amount to avoid larger losses.
HOW THE PARLAY METHOD WORKS
Suppose your first betting unit is €20, and your goal payout is €200.
- Wager €20 on black. If you win, double your stake to €40 and continue wagering on black.
- If you win again, wager €80. If the third bet wins, the stake is doubled to €160. Should you win all four bets, the €200 (or more, depending on how you wish to manage your bankroll) is removed from the table, and the process resumes with a €20 stake.
- If a loss occurs at any point in the progression, the stake is reset to the original €20 and the process repeats.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF PARLAY SYSTEM
- You don’t need to master or understand any mathematical concept.
- This strategy is less risky when compared to other betting systems.
- Utilising this method allows players to take the profit when the limit is reached.
- It is a flexible betting technique since both inside and outside bets can be used.
- You don’t risk your entire bankroll within a few spins of the roulette wheel.
- There is no guarantee of consecutive wins, and this strategy heavily relies on win streaks.
- This technique is not ideal for long-term play.
- While viable on most casino games, the risk is significantly increased with higher wagers. It is advisable to start low.
GOLDEN EAGLE ROULETTE STRATEGY
The Golden Eagle roulette system is an advanced strategy catered to help you win at roulette. The Golden Eagle utilises hedging opportunities that enable consistent wins. So this system does not rely on winning/losing streaks as it can help you win more money in a relatively short time.
The Golden Eagle technique can be used either defensively or offensively. The offensive mode is used to capture wins while the defensive mode is used to recover losses. The Golden Eagle requires eight buy-ins of eight chips, for a total of 64 chips
LABOUCHERE ROULETTE STRATEGY
The Labouchere is sometimes referred to as the Cancellation technique or the Split Martingale as it is tailored to work with even bets to win at roulette. This cancellation system can be used on nearly any online roulette game.
HOW DOES LABOUCHERE SYSTEM WORK?
To begin, you must set a predetermined win amount that you are aiming to achieve. This amount is then broken into a sequence of smaller numbers. The leftmost and rightmost numbers are used to determine the value of your wager and are crossed out as you accumulate the winnings. Losses will be added onto the sequence at the end.
Suppose we set a win goal of €10 and split it as 1-1-1-2-2-2-1:
- Take the first and last numbers of the sequence (in this case, 1+1=2) and add them up, this is your initial stake value.
- Wager €2 on black (or any other even-money bet). If you win, cross out the first number in the sequence and the last. You are now working with a sequence of 1-1-2-2-2.
- Now, you are wagering €3. Repeat until all numbers in the sequence are eliminated.
- If you lose, you will add the value of your losing bet onto the sequence as the last digit. For example, if you lost your initial wager of €2 in this scenario, your new sequence will look like this: 1-1-1-2-2-2-1-2.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF LABOUCHERE ROULETTE STRATEGY
- The strategy is quite easy to use.
- The system is flexible, since the player can adjust their first betting sequence to their preference.
- The safest sequence to try out is 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1, known as the Johnson progression.
- Players can split the sequence as many times as they wish to avoid large losses.
- The sequence can get rather long if you hit a losing streak. Eventually, you will struggle to keep up with the losses.
- This strategy does nothing to push the odds in your favour, the house edge is king.
D’ALEMBERT ROULETTE STRATEGY
This technique is similar to the Martingale and is considered a highly successful roulette strategy. This betting system uses even probability — instead of doubling the wager after a loss, as per the Martingale, one unit is added to the player’s stake. After a winning bet, the stake is decreased by one unit.
This system heavily relies on the equal probability of hitting a win on an outside bet. This strategy can also be applied in reverse, increasing the wager by one unit on a win and decreasing by one on a loss.
The D’Alembert’s golden rule states that if the number of wins equates to the number of losses, then you are in the process of achieving a positive trend.
HOW D’ALEMBERT METHOD WORKS
Using a unit value of €1, take this example:
- Wager €1 on black.
- If you lose, wager €2. Another loss? Your stake is now €3.
- If you win on your €3 bet, you have now recovered the €3 loss and made €3 in profit.
- Your next wager is decreased by one unit, you are now betting €2.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF D’ALEMBERT BETTING STRATEGY
- This technique has a lower variance compared to others. This implies that the probability of losing is relatively low.
- You can manage your bankroll, which is ideal.
- This technique can help you stay in control, primarily if a loss is incurred.
- Easy to use.
- It is challenging and almost impossible to recover large losses since you are solely boosting your bet by a single unit. This is why a lower minimum bet is preferred.
- A player can surpass the limit if he/she experiences an extended losing streak.
- The accumulated winnings are small.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST ROULETTE STRATEGY?
With so many different roulette strategies to choose from, how can one identify the best roulette strategy for them? Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Know the rules — How can you play roulette and make strategic decisions without knowing the rules?
- Set a betting limit according to your bankroll — Some strategies require a higher bankroll than others.
- Understand your style of play — Find out whether you prefer offensive strategies or defensive ones.
- Decide on your end goal — Do you want to accumulate fewer larger wins or less frequent smaller ones?
PRACTICE ROULETTE STRATEGIES AT THE LV BET ONLINE CASINO
If you’re interested in giving some of these techniques a go, head to LV BET for the best roulette experience you could ask for! While our collection does not fall short on online casino games, online roulette tables are our forté.
Spin the American roulette wheel in one of our many American roulette games, or if you’re done playing roulette, give the rest of our online games a gander. LV BET is one of the best online casinos in the biz, so if you’re looking for an experience that’ll leave your jaw on the floor, LV BET is your best bet.
Claim our swanky Welcome Bonus and set off on your online roulette adventure!
WHAT IS THE BEST STRATEGY TO USE WHEN PLAYING ROULETTE?
Finding the best roulette strategy often depends on a number of factors. You must understand your style of play, set your win goal, and choose a strategy that reflects your bankroll. Taking the casino advantage into account might also be helpful.
WHAT IS THE 666 STRATEGY IN ROULETTE?
When playing roulette games at online casinos, you may also come across the 666 strategy. This method involves placing a wager on almost every number on the table to potentially make a small profit.
IS THERE A ROULETTE SYSTEM THAT WORKS?
Some players might say that the most successful roulette strategies are the ones that bring home tonnes of wins, but that is not always the case. Choosing the best roulette strategy often depends on several factors; however, with that said, no strategy guarantees you’ll beat roulette.
WHAT IS THE SAFEST BET TO PLACE BEFORE SPINNING THE ROULETTE WHEEL?
The game of roulette offers several different bets for you to try, but if you want to win, placing outside wagers is probably your best bet as they cover many numbers in the roulette game.
WHAT ARE MATHEMATICAL ROULETTE STRATEGIES?
Mathematical strategies are those based on mathematical sequences or formulas.
IS THERE A ROULETTE SYSTEM THAT ALWAYS WORKS WHEN PLAYING AT A ROULETTE TABLE?
No. While a strategy may help boost your odds, no strategy can guarantee success, as roulette games will always come with a house edge.
CAN A ROULETTE STRATEGY WORK IN THE LONG RUN?
Unfortunately, most roulette strategies do not work in the long run as they rely on offsetting losses with short-term wins.