Blackjack VS Baccarat


What we have on our hands are two casino table games that are fun in very different ways. Blackjack requires a certain degree of strategy to be played efficiently, whereas in baccarat, things are much more straightforward.

Many players may ask what makes these two games unique. This article will answer that and help you decide whether you’re a blackjack wiz or more of a baccarat virtuoso. Perhaps your calling lies in other table games, but it’s impossible to find out without reading on.


Blackjack vs Baccarat is a debate we want to settle, but how? First, let’s analyse the gameplay of each table game when played online.


Baccarat vs. Blackjack: Which game has the best odds?In blackjack, the player must obtain a hand with a value as close to 21 as possible (without surpassing it) and have a greater total than the dealer.

The value of your cards depends on the cards you obtain. Each number card is taken at face value, jack, queen and king count as 10, and the ace counts as either one or 11, depending on your hand.

You start off with two cards face up. If you are dealt an ace and a ten-value card then you’ll have blackjack. If not, you can either choose to hit another card or stand at the current value of your hand.

On some tables, you will have the option to double down or split. Doubling down will double your bet in exchange for only one more card. Splitting is available on pairs or two cards of equal value (both 9-9 and 10-Q are pairs).

Other tables may offer insurance, surrender or special actions like tripling or quadrupling down in online Power Blackjack. Once all decisions have been made, the dealer will reveal their cards and the winner will be determined.


In blackjack, the odds of winning depend on several factors, including the number of decks used, the rules of the game, and the player’s strategy.

Typically, the odds of winning a blackjack game are around 44% to 48% for the player and 52% to 56% for the house. However, these odds can be improved by using a basic strategy.


You might have heard that this is a James Bond favourite. This table game works in a similar way to blackjack, in the sense that both games aim for the best possible value of card combinations. In baccarat, you must try and predict which hand will obtain a value closest to nine by placing a wager on the Player hand, the Banker hand or a Tie bet.

When playing baccarat, expect to find optional side bets as well, like Player Pair. Cards 2-9 are worth their face value; 10s, jacks, queens and kings have a value of zero; the ace is worth one point. 

Both sides receive two cards. If the value exceeds nine, then the value of the hand is calculated a little differently. If a hand consists of 9-7, for example, the total is 16. Since nine is the highest obtainable value, the 10 is dropped from the total and the hand is valued at six points. Depending on the point totals of the hands, an additional card may be drawn according to the Third Card Rule.

There are several variations of the game, like chemin de fer, baccarat banque and punto blanco. At online casinos, Dragon Tiger and Football Studio are two incredibly popular variants. Remember that rules, odds and betting markets may differ from one variant to another and may vary across casinos as well.


Baccarat tables are known to have higher odds of landing a win compared to other games at an online casino. The Player and Banker wagers offer similar odds, that is, 44.6% for the Player and 45.8% for the latter. Tie bets offer the worst probability of paying, at just 9.6%.


As we’ve seen so far, baccarat vs blackjack yields some very staggering differences, some of which we’ll mention below. However, both games have their own similarities.


  • The two games both revolve around reaching a specific score, or as close to that as possible.
  • In both baccarat and blackjack, the “player” goes toe to toe with either the dealer, or another side.
  • In both games, both sides can be dealt more than two cards if circumstances allow.


  • Blackjack offers more betting options than baccarat.
  • In baccarat, players theoretically have a good chance of winning. When playing blackjack, players stand to lose a lot more, especially since the dealer plays after the player. This can greatly affect the player’s level of fun.
  • Blackjack focuses more on advanced or basic strategy, whereas players don’t rely that much on strategy in baccarat.
  • Baccarat features much higher minimum stakes comparison to blackjack, making it a popular low-stakes game. With this said, either can be a high-rollers game if enough money is put on the line.


Baccarat offers a very simplistic style of gameplay that perhaps isn’t up to par with the more refined gambling experience that most players prefer. Nevertheless, it offers among the best odds found in most online casino games.


In baccarat, strategy can only take you this far. Since you have three betting options, the apparent choice is to always go for the Banker bet, which has a more favourable house edge than Player bets.

In blackjack, every action you make will directly affect the house edge and, thus, the statistical return of money over time. There are multiple decisions to make during a game of blackjack: you can either hit, stand, double down, split and, on some tables, take insurance or surrender. Thankfully, a blackjack strategy chart or cheat sheet can be made readily available to help you boost your odds.


The house edge is one of the main factors players look for in a game, as the house advantage may determine whether the associated risks are worth putting the bankroll on the line. The house edge, expressed as a percentage, is the statistical advantage that the casino or gambling venue — the ‘house’ — has over you as you play over time. In online slots, this edge (or rather, the inverse) is expressed as the Return To Player percentage.

Baccarat games feature one of the lowest house edges of all casino games.

  • Banker — 1.06%
  • Player — 1.24%
  • Tie — 14.36%

The Tie bet has the best payout of the three bets; however, the odds of hitting this bet are significantly lower. When you play baccarat for the first time, it is wise to steer clear of wagering on a Tie! Even though the Player hand has a slightly higher house edge, it may also be advantageous to take this punt over the Banker wager. 


The wager options in baccarat include a bet on the two hands, or even a Tie, whereas blackjack offers more complex actions.

Online casinos feature multiple casino games, including dozens of baccarat and blackjack variants, which may offer more innovative features than your typical table game. These variants may include multiple side bets or bonuses to spice up the gameplay and ultimately give you a more engaging experience.

That said, blackjack certainly offers more variety due to the sheer number of possible actions and optional bets (like 21+3 or Perfect Pairs).


Ultimately, choosing the perfect game comes down to personal preference. Even though these two games are strikingly similar, they could not be any more different from how they are played.

Are you looking for the best odds and a chance to reduce the house edge? Go for blackjack. Quick and simple gameplay? Opt for baccarat. Both games are incredibly entertaining, and are a great starting point for anyone wishing to try out table games

Should you wish to shake things up, feel free to try out a craps table, roulette, poker and even sports betting at LV BET.


Does blackjack or baccarat offer more possibilities on mobile devices?

No, whether either game is played on a mobile device, desktop device or at land-based casinos doesn’t make a different on your odds of winning.

Is it easier to win real money in blackjack or baccarat?

Baccarat is the best casino game to bet and win money, since it is extremely simple to play. On the other hand, blackjack is an average game at best in this regard, since blackjack requires a degree of strategy to help you win money. Having said that, it is said that blackjack is much more fun than its counterpart.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *