The rules of roulette are very simple — this holds true for both American and European roulette. If you’re intent on giving the American-style roulette table a spin, you’ve landed in the right blog post.
Here, we will discuss the basic rules of american roulette — with an eye for American variants — American roulette payouts and whether this is the best roulette game to play.
WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT AMERICAN ROULETTE
American roulette is a popular casino game played on a roulette wheel. The game consists of a wheel with numbered slots and a table with corresponding numbers and other betting options.
LAYOUT OF AN AMERICAN ROULETTE TABLE
The layout of an American table is divided into two main sections: the Inside and Outside bets. The Inside bets are placed on the numbered grid, while the Outside bets are placed in the areas surrounding the numbered grid.
The numbered grid contains the numbers one through 36, as well as a single zero (0) and a double zero (00). The numbers are arranged in three columns of twelve, with each column being labelled as 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
THE AMERICAN ROULETTE WHEEL AND ITS CHARACTERISTICS
The American wheel is a circular device used to determine the game’s outcome. The online roulette table is fully automatic, and it works thanks to a Random Number Generator (RNG) whose purpose is to randomise every spin.
Whether you wish to play roulette online or at a land-based casino, you need to know that, unlike European roulette, American roulette includes a double-zero slot — the American variant is sometimes called the “Double-zero game” for this reason. We’ll elaborate on this difference further on.
The numbered slots are arranged in a specific order around the circumference of the wheel, and the colours of the slots alternate between red and black, with the exception of the green slots for 0 and 00.
The American wheel is designed to be balanced and random so that each slot has an equal chance of being selected on each spin. That way, there is an equal chance that the ball lands on all possible slots. The numbers are not arranged in consecutive order, and the position of the numbers on the wheel is carefully determined to prevent any bias or predictability.
LEARN HOW TO PLAY AMERICAN ROULETTE
Before going in front of a spinning roulette wheel and placing a bet, we strongly advise you to have a clear idea of what playing roulette entails and what the roulette bets cover. If you’re still shady on the details but want to have a general idea of how a roulette game is played, here is a quick walkthrough:
- Understand the objective of the game, which is to predict which pocket the ball lands in after the wheel is spun. Players can place bets on a single number, groups of numbers, or colours (red or black).
- Place your bets: Once you understand the rules, you can place your bets on the table. You can choose to bet on a single number, a combination of numbers, or a group of numbers. The more numbers you bet on, the lower the payout.
- Spin the wheel: After all bets have been placed, the dealer will spin the wheel and drop the ball. The ball will eventually land in one of the pockets on the wheel.
- Wait for the outcome: Once the ball has landed, the dealer will announce the winning number and payout the winnings to the players who placed a bet on that number or combination.
- Place your next bets: You can continue playing by placing your next wagers on the table.
RULES OF AMERICAN ROULETTE
Here are the rules of the American variant:
- The American wheel has 38 pockets, numbered one through 36, plus 0 and 00 pockets.
- Players can place bets on individual numbers, groups of numbers, or colours (red or black).
- Once all wagers have been placed, the dealer will spin the wheel and drop the ball.
- Players can continue to place bets until the dealer announces, “no more bets”.
- When the ball comes to rest in one of the pockets, the dealer will announce the winning number and payout the winnings to the players who placed a bet on that number or combination.
- Bets on individual numbers have the highest payout but the lowest odds of winning. Bets on colours or groups of numbers have a lower payout but higher odds of winning.
- Players can continue to play and place wagers on where the ball drops in the next round.
It’s important to note that the rules may vary slightly depending on the casino or table you’re playing at. Be sure to check the specific rules and payouts before placing your bets.
WHICH AMERICAN ROULETTE BET SHOULD YOU CHOOSE?
Given the number of different bets in roulette, it is normal for a new player to be confused. In this section, you will find every bet in roulette explained.
As we’ve mentioned previously, roulette bets are divided into Inside bets and Outside bets.
- Straight up bet – A bet on a single number, including 0 and 00. This bet pays out at 35 to 1, but the odds of winning are only 2.63%.
- Split bet – A bet on two adjacent numbers on the grid. This bet pays out at 17 to 1, with a 5.26% chance of paying.
- Street bet – A bet on a row of three numbers, also called a “line” bet. This bet pays out at 11 to 1, with a 7.89% chance of paying.
- Corner bet – A bet on a square of four adjacent numbers. This bet pays out at 8 to 1, with a 10.53% chance of paying.
- Basket bet – A bet on the numbers 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. This bet pays out at 6 to 1, with a 13.16% chance of paying.
- Double street bet – A bet on two adjacent rows of numbers. This bet pays out at 5 to 1, with a 15.79% chance of paying.
- Red or black – A bet on the color of the pocket that the ball will land in. This bet pays out at even money (1 to 1) and has a 47.37% chance of winning.
- Odd or even – A bet on whether the winning number will be odd numbers or even numbers. This bet also pays out at even money and has a 47.37% chance of winning.
- Low or high – A bet on whether the winning number will be in the lower half (1-18) or higher half (19-36) of the numbered grid. This bet also pays out at even money and has a 47.37% chance of winning.
- Dozen bet – A bet on one of three groups of 12 numbers (1-12, 13-24, or 25-36). This bet pays out at 2 to 1 and has a 31.58% chance of winning.
- Column bet – A bet on one of three vertical columns of numbers on the grid. This bet pays out at 2 to 1 and has a 31.58% chance of winning.
WHAT ABOUT LOSING BETS?
In American roulette, some bets are considered “loser” bets because they have a higher house edge and a lower chance of paying. Here are some examples of roulette loser bets:
- Top line bet – This bet is only available in American roulette and covers the numbers 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3. It has a payout of 6 to 1, but the odds of winning are only 13.16%.
- Five-number bet – This bet covers the numbers 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3 and has a payout of 6 to 1. It has a very high house edge of 7.89% and is considered one of the worst wagers in roulette.
- Any single bet – Betting on a single number has a very low chance of paying, but offers the highest payout of 35 to 1. Compared to other losing bets, the single bet is the riskiest since the odds of winning are only 2.63%.
- Basket bet – This bet covers the numbers 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3 and has a payout of 6 to 1. Like the five-number bet, it has a high house edge of 7.89%.
GAME STRATEGY FOR AMERICAN ROULETTE
Before playing roulette seriously, one must keep in mind that it is a game of pure chance. Although one can study the roulette table layout and analyse all the roulette rules, there are some things worth keeping in mind.
- Understand the odds: The American wheel has 38 pockets, including 0, 00, and 1-36. The odds of winning on a Straight-up bet (betting on a single number) are 37 to 1. The odds of winning Red/Black bets, Odd/Even bets and High/Low bets are 18 to 20.
- Stick to even-money bets: such wagers have the highest odds of winning, so it’s a good idea to focus on these types of bets. You won’t win as much as you would with a Straight-up bet, but you’ll win more often.
- Manage your bankroll: Set a budget for how much you’re willing to spend on the game and stick to it. Don’t bet more than you can afford to lose.
- Use a betting system: Playing roulette with betting systems like the Martingale system or the Fibonacci system can help you manage your wagers and potentially increase your winnings. However, keep in mind that no betting system can guarantee a win.
- Avoid the five-number bet: The five-number bet (betting on 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3) has the worst odds in the game, so it’s best to avoid it.
- Take breaks: It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of the game, but taking breaks can help you stay focused and make better decisions.
- Play for fun: Remember that roulette is a game of chance, and the outcome is ultimately determined by luck. Play for fun and don’t take it too seriously.
LIVE AMERICAN ROULETTE PLAYING RULES
If you want to shake things up and opt for a more immersive casino experience, why not spin the live roulette wheel? American roulette can be played live at online casinos of the likes of LV BET.
Live roulette rules are usually the same as those in online or land-based variants, and this also goes for the betting layout, in most cases. With that said, we urge you to look over the rules section before placing real-money bets.
AMERICAN OR EUROPEAN ROULETTE? WHICH GAME VERSION IS BETTER?
Which of the two roulette wheels is more appropriate for you: American or European roulette? Let’s evaluate the differences and similarities between the two roulette wheels.
One of the biggest similarities between the two roulette variants is the table layout, which is almost identical. The Inside bets and Outside bets are exactly the same; the only difference being that the American table caters for the double zero.
Most players opt for European roulette for the sole reason that it doesn’t include the double zero; thus, the house edge isn’t as high. In fact, European roulette has a house edge of just 2.70% — half that of American roulette.
Furthermore, the American roulette wheel layout differs from European roulette wheels. The numbers are arranged differently, but this does not affect the player.
BEST AMERICAN ROULETTE GAMES
Giving a roulette wheel a spin at an online casino is a convenient experience that shouldn’t detract from the immersion. If you want some suggestions about an American roulette table or two, find some below:
- American Roulette by NetEnt: This online roulette game features a classic American roulette layout and offers a range of betting opportunities. The game has smooth animations and excellent graphics, creating an enjoyable gaming experience.
- American Roulette by Microgaming: This online roulette variant has a user-friendly interface and allows players to place a wide range of bets, including inside bets, outside bets, and call bets (announced bets). The game has crisp graphics and smooth gameplay.
- American Roulette by Evolution Gaming: This live dealer American Roulette game is streamed in high definition from a studio, offering players an immersive gaming experience. Players can interact with the live dealer and other players in real-time, and the game features a range of betting opportunities.
- American Roulette by Playtech: This online roulette variant features a classic American Roulette layout and allows players to place Inside bets, Outside bets, and call bets. The game has smooth animations and excellent graphics, making it a popular choice among roulette players.
- American Roulette by Realtime Gaming: This online roulette game features a classic American Roulette layout and offers a range of betting options.
Deciding whether to play American, European or French roulette is a choice that every player must make once they have experienced each roulette table. The American variant is said to be avoided due to its high house edge, owing to the double zero.
With that said, the American version is still an extremely popular game among players who enjoy the added excitement and possibilities of placing bets.
✅ Can I play American roulette for free at LV BET Casino?
Yes, you can place at almost any online roulette table without spending any real money via their demo version. However, you will not be able to win any money from the demo version of roulette games.
To do that, simply toggle the slider at the top of the game between ‘Demo Mode’ and ‘Play for Real’.
Do note that registration is required to play free roulette games at LV BET.
✅ Which American roulette strategy to choose for a beginner player?
Using strategy is a wise idea when it comes to playing roulette. Through the use of even-money bets, strategies such as the Martingale and Fibonacci can be very effective. With that said, it is impossible to avoid losses in roulette, so care must be taken to play responsibly.
✅ What is the house edge in American roulette?
The house edge in this roulette variant is 5.25%.
✅ Is there a bluff in online American roulette?
Bluffing is not a strategy that can be used in roulette, whether played online or in a land-based casino. Bluffing is a technique used in games like poker, where players can deceive their opponents by making them believe that they have a better or worse hand than they actually do.
However, in roulette, the outcome of each spin is determined by RNG, which means that the result is completely random and cannot be influenced by any player.
✅ Can I play American roulette on the LV BET mobile app?
Yes, you can download the LV BET mobile app on any Android or iOS device.
✅ What kind of wagers are available in American roulette?
In the American variant, the following roulette bets are available: Split bets, Snake bet, Three-number bet, Four-number bet, Square bet and many more. You can find more information about the different bets in American variants of roulette in the post above.