Did you know that roulette is one of the oldest and most popular casino games in the world? In fact, the history of roulette dates back to the 18th century in France, and became one of the first online casino games. It has been enjoyed by many, and it continues to be a staple in many gambling houses worldwide.
But how much do you really know about the history of roulette? In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the origins, how it has evolved, and what makes it so appealing to players — this game is far more than simply guessing the winning number.
So grab a seat at the table, place your bets, and let’s delve into the fascinating history of roulette!
THE ROULETTE GAME — HOW DID IT START?
Roulette is a popular game played all over the world. The game has a rich history that spans centuries and continents.
IN ANCIENT TIMES
Roulette-like gambling games have been played for centuries. Some historians believe that the game originated in China, where the original Chinese game, Baige Piao was played. Other historians argue that roulette origins stemmed from ancient Rome, where soldiers would play a game called Rota Fortunae, which involved betting on which numbered segments.
The game as we know it today originated in France in the late 1700s. French mathematician Blaise Pascal is credited with inventing the first version of the roulette wheel while he was attempting to create the perpetual motion machine. And although he failed to invent the perpetual motion machine, the game quickly became popular in France and spread throughout Europe.
Influenced by casino games ‘Even-Odd’ and ‘Roly Poly’, it was said that the original wheel featured 36 numbered pockets, not including the zero. In the early 1800s, a single-zero version of the game was introduced in Monaco, which became known as French or European roulette. The version of the game with only one zero slot became popular in the casino industry throughout Europe.
In the mid-1800s, European settlers brought the game to America. The game quickly became popular, but casinos in America began to modify the game to give themselves a greater advantage. They added an extra double zero pocket to the wheel, which increased the house advantage and gave rise to the double zero variation, American roulette.
Today, the double-zero game is predominantly spotted in the US, South America, Canada, and the Caribbean.
HISTORY OF THE NUMBER ZERO ON A ROULETTE WHEEL
One of roulette’s defining features is the inclusion of a green pocket with a zero on the wheel. This pocket is what gives the house its edge over players. But why was the number zero added to the wheel in the first place? There are a few different theories as to why this happened:
- To increase the house edge — Adding the zero pocket to the wheel gave the house a greater advantage over players, as it increased the number of possible outcomes and lowered the odds of any given bet winning.
- To prevent cheating — Some historians believe that the zero pocket was added to prevent cheating by players who could use magnets or other devices to influence where the ball landed on the wheel.
- As a nod to the devil — In some versions of the story, the addition of the zero pocket was meant to represent the devil. This is because the sum of all the numbers on the wheel (1-36) adds up to 666, which is sometimes referred to as the ‘number of the beast’ in religious lore.
HISTORICAL FACTS FROM THE WORLD OF ROULETTE
Here are some interesting historical facts about the roulette game:
- The word ‘roulette’ comes from the French word meaning ‘little wheel’.
- The first modern roulette wheel was invented in France in the 18th century and was created to compete against other casinos.
- Early roulette wheels had a double zero pocket in addition to the single zero pocket.
- In the 1800s, gambling was illegal in France, so roulette tables were set up in gambling dens in neighboring countries like Germany and Monaco by Francois and Louis Blanc.
- The famous Monte Carlo Casino in Monaco (the world’s first modern casino) was established in the mid-19th century because Prince Charles was having financial issues. This helped popularise the game.
- It became a popular game in America during the 19th century tanks to European settlers.
- The odds of winning vary depending on the type of bet you make.
LARGEST WINS IN THE HISTORY OF ROULETTE
Here are five of the biggest winnings in the history of roulette:
- Sir Philip Green won £2m in December 2004 and another £1m before the year ended.
- Pedro Grendene Bartelle won $3.5m playing French roulette at Hotel Conrad, Punta del Este, Uruguay, in January 2017.
- Charles Wells won close to ₣1m at the world-famous Monte Carlo Casino. Resort in 1891 and another million francs sometime later
- Ashley Revell staked his life’s savings of $135,000 at a table in Las Vegas in 2014 and doubled his entire net worth by betting on red.
- Chris Boyd wagered $220,000 at a roulette table at the Binion Horseshoe Casino and walked out with double the amount.
ONLINE ROULETTE — A NEW VERSION OF THE POPULAR CASINO GAME
With the advent of the internet, traditional casino games like roulette have made the transition to internet casinos. Online roulette is a popular game among players all over the world, and it has become a staple in online casinos. Modern-day roulette offers many advantages, including accessibility, convenience, and the ability to play roulette from anywhere at any time:
One of the most significant advantages of this game is accessibility. Roulette fans can now enjoy the game from the comfort of their own homes or on the go using their mobile devices. Online roulette is available 24/7, which means players can bet whenever they want, unlike real casino venues with specific operating hours.
The online version of the game offers a wide variety of options. There are different types of tables available online, including European, French, and American tables. Players can choose the version they prefer and play roulette at their own pace, without feeling rushed or pressured.
- Bonuses and Promotions
Online roulette sites offer various bonuses and promotions that traditional casinos do not. For example, players can receive Welcome Bonuses, Deposit Bonuses, and Free Spins when they sign up to an online casino. These bonuses and promotions can significantly increase a player’s bankroll and provide them with more opportunities to win.
THE MOST POPULAR GAMES IN ROULETTE ONLINE
Here are some of the most popular versions of this game that you can find at online casinos:
Also known as single-zero roulette, this is the most popular version of roulette, both online and offline. The game features a single-zero roulette wheel with 37 slots numbered zero to 36. The house edge for this version is relatively low at 2.70%, making it a popular choice for players.
This version of the game is similar to European Roulette, but with an additional double zero slot on the wheel. For this reason, American games have a higher house edge of 5.26%, making them a less popular choice.
The French game is similar to European Roulette, but with a few additional rules that can benefit players. For example, if the ball lands on 0, players who have placed even-money bets will get half of their bet back. This lowers the house edge to 1.35%, making this game a popular choice among experienced players.
Live Dealer Roulette
Live roulette is a relatively new version of this game, but it has quickly become popular among players. In Live Dealer Roulette, players can watch a real-life dealer spin the wheel and place their bets in real time. This adds an element of excitement and realism to the game that is not found in standard roulette games.
CONCLUSION — ROULETTE TODAY AND IN THE FUTURE
Now that you know the history of roulette, you can appreciate this classic game even more. From its humble beginnings in France to its worldwide popularity today, this game has stood the test of time as a beloved pastime for many.
So, the next time you’re looking for some entertainment, why not give roulette a spin? Who knows, you could be the next big winner. Place bets, explore betting strategies, and play European, French or American tables, among many of the greatest casino games at LV BET!
✅ WHAT ARE THE BEST ROULETTE BONUSES?
The best roulette bonuses can vary depending on the online casino and the specific promotion they are offering. Generally, the best roulette bonuses are those that offer a high match percentage on your deposit and have reasonable wagering requirements. It’s important to read the Terms and Conditions carefully before claiming any bonus to ensure that it’s a good deal for you.
✅ IS ONLINE ROULETTE ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR CASINO GAMES?
Online roulette is one of the most popular casino games at online casinos, but it’s not necessarily the most played game by players. Slot machines tend to be the most popular online games, but roulette is still very popular.
✅ DO YOU STAND A CHANCE OF WINNING IN A LIVE DEALER GAME?
Yes, you absolutely stand a chance of winning in a live dealer game. Live dealer gambling games use real dealers and equipment, so the results are just as random and fair as they would be in a land-based casino.
✅ WHO INVENTED THE ROULETTE WHEEL?
The roulette wheel was invented by the French mathematician Blaise Pascal in the 17th century. The traditional wheel remains largely unchanged till this day.
✅ HOW MANY COLOURS ARE ON A ROULETTE WHEEL?
A typical roulette layout features two colours on a wheel: red and black. The numbers on the wheel are alternately colored red and black, with the exception of the number zero, which is usually green.
✅ WHAT ARE POPULAR BETTING OPTIONS WHEN PLAYING ROULETTE?
Throughout roulette history, you’ll find that the most popular types include Red or Black or Odd or Even. These bets can be found in land gambling houses and online casinos alike.